Conversation Starter: A Trip to the Grocery Store
This is a clip from the documentary, Cracking the Codes: The System of Racial Inequity, produced by World Trust. Author and educator Dr. Joy DeGruy shares how her sister-in-law uses her White privilege to stand up to systemic inequity. Watch it alone. Watch it together. Either way, be sure to reflect on or discuss the questions below.
- Do you think the cashier was demonstrating racial bias? If not, what other reasons might she have had for treating Joy differently than her sister-in-law?
- Why do you think Joy was struggling to formulate a response to the cashier?
- Why do you think Joy’s 10-year-old daughter was upset?
- Do you personally know anyone who is biracial? Have you talked with them about what it’s like embodying different cultures in their daily lives?
- What do you think might have happened had Joy, not her sister-in-law, pointed out the cashier’s behavior?
- Have you ever witnessed what you perceived as racial bias? What did you do in that situation?