Conversation Starter: Civil, a Short Film
We are huge fans of short films. They are powerful distillations of the human condition. As Learning and Development practitioners, we find them to be transformative tools, especially when viewed together as a team or organization. Here is a thought-provoking short film by writer-director Stephen Takashima. Watch it alone. Watch it together. Either way, be sure to reflect on or discuss the questions below.
- Why do you think the prospective customer let Deshawn into his house when others slammed the door?
- What do you imagine Deshawn was thinking and feeling when he saw the Confederate flag on the wall?
- How was power used in this vignette?
- How would you respond to someone comparing the Confederate flag to the Christian cross?
- Is saying “You are one of the good ones,” a micro-aggression? Why or why not?
- When Deshawn tore up the customer’s check what went through your mind?
- How might Deshawn’s teammates have helped him?
- Writer-director Stephen Takashima is Asian American. Does that surprise you? Why or why not?